Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You're Really Gonna Hate to Hear This

I know - what a way to start a blog that's suppose to make you laugh - right?

Today's Tale - is about our back and rehabilitation.

The Beginning - or it should be. It was actually in the middle for me.

I started my 5 year quest to rebuild the - rode hard & put up wet - body. I had a bulging L5S1, bone spurs on all left cervical vertebrae, compounded by the onset of fibromyalgia due to Lyme's disease.

I am one of THOSE PEOPLE. You know them or maybe you are one. I am an uncooperative patient. I will not have back surgery until I'm crawling on all fours. I refuse steroid shots.

The body feels pain for a reason. To tell my inner dummy to STOP NOW!

I have never been as thankful as when my bulging disc herniated. No, I am not a masochist. Yes, after living with chronic pain for many years, I have developed a special relationship with pain. A bulging disc typically has swelling associated with it and this was the source of 70% of my sciatic pain. When the disc herniated, I no longer had any swelling.

Here's a tidbit I learned; the hard way of course. Not all sciatic pain is caused by the low back. Neck vertebrae out of place will cause the same sciatic pain.

My Favorite Pain Mantra is from the movie, GI Jane
Master Chief: Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
Lt. Jordan O'Neil: Don't know!
Master Chief: It lets you know you're not dead yet!

I know I'm alive and I have a job to do.

Where do you start, when your body is no longer doing the job you want or need it to do?

This is where you really aren't going to believe I'm saying this.


Your Mother was RIGHT. There I said it. Now that's eating a really green banana.


My mother, her mother, your mother, every mother and mother before - All Said It.


Stand up straight, sit up straight, don't slump, suck it in, good posture is everything.


You are getting the benefit of my 20/20 hindsight when it comes to rehab & recovery for back, joint, muscle injuries and pain.

The very first place to start is with your posture.

I thought I had good posture till I decided to ask a professional. It's about my 3rd or 4th trip thru physical therapy. Gee, if I had only thought of this the first time around.

Get a Professional to assess your posture. They will help you correct your posture.

I was standing to to wide - more like shoulder width and those are linebacker shoulders on this woman. I had to narrow my stance to about 5 inches between the balls of my feet. As soon as I did that, everything else had to change.

I came up with a plan to learn this new posture. I threw neon colored 3x5 cards all around my house and carport. As I walked through my day, each time I came to a card, I had to stop and strike THE POSE.

MY POSE 1. STOP - get feet 5 inches apart.
                  2. Soften the knees - DO NOT LOCK THOSE JOINTS.
                  3. Tuck the derriere under then relax the glutes
                  4. Suck the stomach in
                  5. Shoulders down & back
                  6. Sternum down
                  7. Chin down, ears over shoulders

How long does it take to restore good posture? It depends on the individual and how long they have had poor posture and the number of corrections they need to make. I spent about 4 months with the 3x5 cards and during the last 2 years have gotten where I only need an occasional posture check. You muscles will remember the more you practice and they will begin to self correct without conscious thought on your part.I just love it when I catch my body working when I'm not thinking about it. Just Practice, Practice, Practice, it will become a habit again.

With every injury - we compensate for the pain by adjusting the posture which throws even more parts out of whack. Regaining a correct posture as soon as possible is critical to any and all future recoveries. Correct posture also facilitates faster healing and muscle development.

I absolutely live by chiropractic care. and highly recommend it, even for those who have never had serious injuries. This is usually my first stop with a new injury. Improper alignment of your spine can lead to head aches, joint aches, neck aches, back pain and so much more. The core of the body, all those abs and back muscles,is the powerhouse for the body. And that powerhouse supports our spine. My children and I get regular chiropractic care as preventative maintenance for the body.

No discourse on correct posture is complete without taking about the other 2 postures we possess. I found that the correct posture for my body was linked to my mental and attitude postures. As I corrected the physical posture the other 2 followed suit. Now the mental and attitude postures require a lot more work in my opinion, since they are the ones that determine our success in life.

Once again the mothers were right.


Find your postures and work like crazy to improve and keep them.

Green bananas are safe to eat and they contain resistant starch which has less effect on blood glucose levels. This is great for those who need to control their blood sugar. The way to eat them is to cook them. Slice them or cut like fries and fry them in butter until browned.


A Wonderfully Blessed Wednesday to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment