Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

 – the greatest birthday with the very best parties, I remember my 21st in Savannah - Now that was birthday party.
 
St. Pat's Day Trivia courtesy of Wikipedia -"The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from the song of the same name."
 
SO I’ve turned 50, and now I get to plan for the second act.
 
This is how all this started for me. What does it mean to be 50? It’s just a number right? Is there wisdom at 50? I’m so excited about the 50th. I have had a few comments from folks, like- I’ve never seen anyone so excited about their 50th birthday. Then some of my male buddies take it a step further with – I’ve never seen a WOMAN this excited about 50. My thought -WHY NOT. It is a great life milestone– there has to be a great celebration.
 
I’ve been getting ready for this birthday for 5 years. I’ve been working on several gifts to myself for this day. My number one gift to me is health. First, I started rebuilding a tired, broken down, rode hard, put up wet body. There’s been posture restructuring, injury recovery, karate, walking, biking, ect. Certainly no picnic and we’ll be talking lots about the process involved in future posts. Second, I started rebuilding a tired, broken down, rode hard, put up wet spirit. Even less of a picnic with more to come. Third, I began a business. Don’t we all?
 
Since January, the approach of this day has sent my mind in so many directions. Nostalgia – where are all those, I’ve lost touch with? Has life been good to them? And courtesy of this great electronic age, places like Face Book can make those re-connections happen.
 
I’m a tail-end baby boomer and the last of our generation is beginning to cross the 50 yard line. What an amazing age to have been born in. The things we have seen come to pass – science fiction come to life. Just take computers and the internet. When we were in high school, uh-oh here comes one of those when I was your ageisms - there was no such thing at home and hardly at college, no internet at all. We programmed mainframe computers with punch cards. All you young bloods have no idea what a pain in the rear that was. The computer languages we used are effectively dead like Latin you know, written but not spoken. And so many other advances, we’ll get to them as we go along.
 
I’m the mother of 3 – a girl & 2 boys (ages 10, 13, 14) what was I thinking??? - so there will be many tales, from them, about them, and parenting tales, too. 
 
Tall tales, wagging tales, annoying tales, cat tales-some tailless, wild tales, a few fish tales and a snakey tale or two as well - I probably have one just for you. LOL and bad poetry too.
 
Ahhh the trials, tribulations, the processes, the journey and joys, ultimately so many joys. 
 
The first half is done, now for act 2-shooting for the century St. Patrick’s Day birthday. What a blow out birthday that will be. Half time is ending, the curtain is rising, no turning back now, only great things to come. 
 
First, I hope to make you laugh. 
I hope to help you find inspiration, some courage and choices.
 
Why are we eating green bananas? Stay Tuned Right here every Wonderful Wednesday to find out -eventually lol, for those in the “JOB” Force that’s hump day and you know you are looking for anything but work to get you through the afternoon, so come on by and see the day’s tale. It might be yours.


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your post! I turned 50 last May and I, too, was looking forward to it. This year I turn 51 and that puts me one year into the second act. It is amazing . . . WHY don't people tell each other all the really wonderful things about getting older?
    My youngest is 10 and my oldest is 21.

    Keep blogging and I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete